Having a cancer is something that we don’t want to experience. With its adverse effects and complications, cancer is basically one of the scariest diseases that anyone wants to avoid. One of the most common cancers that usually happen to women is breast cancer. It can happen to any woman at any age, which no exception. So what are the signs of breast cancer in teens and how to treat it? Don’t be panic! Because we are going to have an in-depth talk about breast cancer!
What is Breast Cancer
Breast cancer happens when cancer cells start to invade and to form malignant tumour in the surrounding of breast tissues and grow uncontrollably to the other areas of our body. Breast cancer is extremely rare to happen to teenagers, it usually happens to women around 40-50s, but there are many things that might trigger this to happen, the triggers are:
- Accidentally injuring your breast
- Piercing your nipples
- Has a habit of carrying a handphone in your breast pocket
- Wearing underwired bra or a tight one many times
- Use some deodorant
Although there are other things to consider such as healthy lifestyle, smoking, and of course, being a woman, having a family cancer background might also increase the risk of getting a breast cancer when you are still a teenager.
There are 10 commons signs that might happen to teenagers which are diagnosed with breast cancer. Those signs are:
- Bleeding nipple
If your nipple suddenly bleeding and feel hurt out of nowhere it might be a sign that something is wrong with your breast. Do check them out as soon as you can to have a fast check-up result.
- The appearance of breast lump
Having a sudden lump is also one of the signs for breast cancer, it is usually a small or big lump with red or white core in the center.
- A change of breast shapes and sizes
Is one of your breasts getting bigger than the other? Or is the size change a bit? You might want to get some check-up to make sure if its cancer or not.
- Red lump around the skin of breast
- Inward nipple
Inward nipple can be a sign of cancer but it also can be something else. Inward nipple also happens when there’s something wrong with the growth of your hormones, so do have a check-up to make sure of it. If it’s not a cancer you can cure it with surgery or supple cups.
- A change in the skin of the breast
If you find your skin red and sometimes it looks like in a scaly rash, it might be not eczema but breast cancer.
- Skin peeling around the pigmented skin area around nipple
Skin getting hard and dry that it can be peeled out might also be a dangerous sign of your breast cancer.
- Skin irritation around breast
- The enlargement of lymph nodes
- Liquid that comes out from the breast but is not breast milk
The liquid that comes out can be blood or suppuration.
There are some treatment you can do if you are diagnosed with breast cancer, those treatment are:
- Lumpectomy: a surgical procedure to remove the malignant tumours from your teen’s breast. This procedure is usually done if the patient is still on its early stage and the lump is not bigger yet.
- Mastectomy: a surgical procedure to remove the whole breast from your body. This procedure is done to prevent the cancerous cells from spreading to other areas of the body. It is usually done if the patient is in the last stage of breast cancer.
- Sentinel Node Biopsy: a removal of small amounts of lymph nodes that might be harmful
- Axillary Lymph Node Dissection: the removal of large amounts of lymph nodes from the breast
- Radiation Therapy: a therapy using x-ray energy to destroy cancerous cells that might be harmful after lumpectomy and mastectomy surgery. This is also done to prevent the cancer from spreading any further.
- Chemotherapy: a special medicine to destroy the cancerous cells throughout your body.
As rare as it can be, breast cancer might still happen to teens. You can do some self-exam and try to figure out it out by seeing if there’s any change around your breast. Then again, this disease could be avoided by managing a healthy lifestyle, avoiding alcoholic drink, managing your stress and weight, and also do lots of exercises.